April 01, 2019

One of my least favorite times of the year...

I have mentioned I have the lovely genetic mutation for breast and ovarian cancer in previous posts.  This has been a huge challenge in my life the last four years.  It has nearly robbed me of my sanity.

This month is one of the lovely tests I undergo every six months.  It is the worst one.  MRI.

I am super claustrophobic and it is very hard for me.  The first test I literally had to tell myself, "You have no other choice, except surgery.  You have to do this.  Don't you dare freak out!"

I had to pray to just get through the test.

I made it.

This has been a terrible and wonderful journey.  I hate knowing.  I wish sometimes I hadn't found out.  I can't "unknow" this.  Once I found out I couldn't just pretend it wasn't there.

I had to relearn who I am.  I rather like the woman I found in the rubble.  But it was the worst feeling not knowing who I was anymore.

I had to find my faith again.  Declan pushed me to the beginning of who I was and if there was a God.  That I will never forget.  I have from that moment known there is a God. 

This pushed me to test whether I could trust God.  I knew He was there.  But could I trust He would guide me...even if it meant I wouldn't get to live a long life?  It was the scariest leap of faith I have made.

It has made me a better wife and mother though.  I was afraid to live before because of the fear.  Now I just feel lucky.  I want my husband to remember who I was and who I was trying to be...not the scared little girl in the corner.  It would be such a waste to live my life terrified all the time.

When I was a kid I ran track.  There were many times I would finish a race and I would realize I had so much more to give and I hadn't done my best.  I don't want to look back on my life and think the same thing.  I had way more to give and I wasted it.

I still have bad days.  I still get scared.  But I know I am not alone and this is my life...I don't want to waste it.