November 23, 2010

Tuesdays...

I was talking to a friend, who has also lost her sweet baby girl, and she asked me if Tuesdays are hard for me because that was the day I lost Declan.  I told her that they don't usually bother me.  But I have noticed that I usually blog on Tuesdays.  I think subconsciously I know that another week has passed and I need to express my feelings.

I was with my in laws this last weekend and my mother in law was asking how I was doing.  She pointed out that it hasn't been very long.  I thought about that for a little while.  No I suppose 8 weeks isn't very long.  Has it really only been 8 weeks?  It feels so much longer than that.  I feel like I've lived a lifetime since then.

Everything about me has changed I feel.  My eating habits, my exercise habits, and even my sleeping habits.  I never have had trouble sleeping - except when I'm pregnant.  But now I find myself up at two in the morning occasionally.  Sometimes I'm not even upset or consciously thinking about Declan, I just can't unwind.

I have found though, in these quiet moments that I feel the most comfort and the most pain.  I don't have the daily distractions to keep my mind occupied.  I am then left to let my mind wander where it may.  Sometimes I think about what Declan would be doing, other times I just try to soothe my troubled heart by petitioning my Heavenly Father.

I think everything that has happened is finally sinking into me.  My brain feels so overloaded sometimes that I have to slow down the information bombarding me constantly.  I try to organize it and allow the flow to where I can handle it.  Sometimes that means shutting it off for a while.  But once I open my mind up again I have to be careful not to let myself drowned.  I think we can only process so much at a time.  That is why grief is a long process.

I am grateful that the moments it becomes too overwhelming and I feel myself slip below the surface of my grief there is always a tender hand waiting to pull me back up.  I would be lost without my Savior, probably curled up in a corner somewhere trying to shut out the world and my pain.

I think I reached the point in my life I can no longer try it on my own.  I am sure I received help before even if I did not ask.  But I know now I have to be saved from my grief by my Savior - there is no other way.  I cannot do this alone.  I realized that the day after Declan died.  Grief and separation would be impossible for me to overcome without my Savior and Heavenly Father's love and mercy.  I truly believe that we are given so much mercy though we suffer.  Through our suffering we find our Heavenly Father who will never forsake us - for he truly is just that, a Father in Heaven that loves each of us so dearly.

I think of the love I have for my three children and what I wouldn't do for them.  But I can't protect them from everything that may happen in this life - well Bryce and Emma.  I will however always be there for them to help them through.  I have heard so many places that we truly cannot understand joy without first understanding pain and suffering.  Our Heavenly Father doesn't do anything to us, but rather for us with a heavy helping of love accompanying each heartache.